Sunday, April 3, 2011

Steven Adds His Voice

We are thrilled to add a new voice to our blog -- that of our host in Kenya and now guest in the U.S., Steven Labarakwe:

Here I come, America. Finally the long awaited moment arrived, the Seid-Brown family invited me into their home wholeheartedly in Bethesda, Maryland. I got a nice room, and I got settled.

On Saturday, I went with Laurel to serve at the Food and Friends organization. I felt like I was distributing relief food in northern Kenya to the needy persons, the only difference was that the food was a well-balanced diet. Anyways, I enjoyed the work with these different people from different parts of the Washington, DC area.

Laurel, together with her older son, took me sight-seeing into the city of Washington, and I was amazed by how the many presidents of America were honoured via monuments and the writings on the walls of monuments.

I could feel the change of temperatures, and I armed myself with enough warm clothes from the Brown family. I am looking foward to seeing sun, schools, new experiences, Claudia, Muddy and Princey.

Steven Labarakwe

Editor's note: "Princey" is Steven's good-natured nickname for Jamie Waters, as the young man in our group of travelers.

(Photo: Laurel Seid)


No comments:

Post a Comment